Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Coachelling!

Coachella lived up to every single one of my expectations. Easily my favourite festival to date.. So much amazing music crammed into three days that I don't even know where to start. We were lucky to be staying with our buddy Shawn, who took care of all the organsiation duties. We arrived at Motel 6 on Friday already blinded with excitement and intoxication. Ness Ellie Emily and I shared a room, and we shortly found this unlikely foursome was going to be one of the greatest things to come out of the weekend. I honestly did not think it was possible for four human beings to be able to talk so much nonsense. But brilliant nonsense at that.

As for the highlights? LCD, Whitest Boy Alive, TCV, Local Natives, Dead Weather, Beach House, Edward Sharp, Gorillaz, Yo La Tengo, and Emily using Anne Hathaway's undies as a hair tie were the moments that seem to have consumed me the most. Jonsi (from Sigur Ros) was one of the most uplifting musical experiences I have ever encountered. To put it simply, his music is that of a magical kind. Sweeping you off your feet to a place where everything feels light, simple, perfect. His voice reaches such a highly immaculate level that it some how manages to enter your body, pulsing through your veins, permitting you to remember what a beautiful world this really is. Ness and I embraced each other, both feeling incredibly enlightened, allowing just a few tears to escape our eyes.

And as for the best moment of my weekend? And probably the best moment of my entire life to date.... Allowing Thom Yorke (Atoms for Peace) to welcome me to his bizarre, mesmerising world, and suck me into the most beautiful melodic trace you could ever imagine. Thom Yorke is God. In my opinion he's the greatest wonder of the musical world. It felt as though the zig-zagging lights on stage were once again pulsing through me, making us all understand how powerful his creative side really is. It was impossible to look away from this enthralling performance. The term "sucked in" is entirely appropriate, because that is exactly what Yorke does. He sings notes rather than just lyrics, and celebrates every single aspect of his music. Yorke creates powerful moments simply by stringing out the best parts of the song in the greatest way possible. And what a match the blue haired beast Flea on Bass is for him. It's one of those things you really do need experience to understand. Trust me on this one, put it on your 10 Things to do Before I Die list - you won't regret it.

So it is with minimal sleep and a mind that is only half present that I remember that Vegas beckons me tomorrow. Seven months of this lifestyle is going to be incredible. How am I ever going to manage??

x

No comments:

Post a Comment