Saturday, September 18, 2010

Colombia

For me, Cartagena is like one of those two-faced friends you can never really get your head around. On one side, it is a truly romantic city, at night a beautiful ambiance is in the air. On the other, however, you can't walk two steps outside your hostel without being offered cocaine at least seven times. Most of these 'people' are creepy, deranaged looking criminals. I never once felt 100% safe at night time, and actually have no photos of this city as I was too scared to even take my camera out with me.

I did however manage to have quite a good time out and about on the town bumping booties on the dancefloor with the locals. You have to see it to understand how hilarious their 'dancing' is. Pretty sure most of the guys should be wearing a condom it gets that hot and heavy, the local ladies will stop at no lengths to show their immense affection, and then straight after the 'dance' sit on couches at opposite ends of the club as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. Just sitting down and watching the free sex shows was entertaining enough, and probably (sadly) my main highlight from Cartagena.

Next stop, was Taganga. We arrived on what must have been smack bang in the middle of some local celebration. It was a Sunday evening and there were hundreds of people lining the streets, on the beach and even swimming. Best way to be welcomed to a new place! Taganga had great local vibes, and wasn't too touristy, which was nice for a change. We stayed at a hotel right on the beach, but didn't actually go swimming once... what great travellers we are.

Taganga Beach

On my third day there, the day before Ben Troy and I started the Lost City Trek, I got a bad case of food poisoning. The next day I woke up feeling better so thought I'd be fine to do the trek... I could not have been more wrong. Ciudad Perdida, Spanish for 'Lost City,' was only discovered in 1972, and is a five day trek through jungle to discover the mysterious lost city, a great pre- Columbian city of the Tayronas. The trek was certainly no walk in the park, and was on most occasions rather exhausting, but well worth the challenge.

The jungle reminded me of a beautiful version of Jurassic Park. It was hot, humid, and often raining, but for most of us that made it all the more enjoyable. We had to cross numerous fresh rivers, and got to hike past Indigenous villages, as many local tribes live in huts the jungle still. We only walked 4 hours on average a day, and slept in hammocks under huts of a night time. It was such a great feeling camping out in the jungle like that, and certainly something I won't ever forget. These kind of experiences are the ones that shape your trip, and make it a whole lot more interesting.

The food was a major highlight, but unfortunately due to my stomach bug that just would not pass, I couldn't keep anything down. Troy was also sick, but out the other end - so Ben found himself feeling like Healthy Harold next to his amigos 'Spewy' and 'Pooey.' After three days I was too weak and in so much pain we were forced to turn back. Ben and Troy, who looked after me like brothers, were kind enough to accompany me back to Taganga, unfortunately earlier than expected.

The rivers turned a beautiful orange because of all the rain!


Very Jurassic Park like

Local Indian tribes

The huts they lived in

When you travel with people for long enough, your friendship becomes so strong you honestly become a family. Day in day out: eating, sleeping, partying, and doing daily activities together; there isn't much you don't know about each other. It also helps you find out a lot more about yourself. When I first started this trip, I think I was trying very hard to "work out who I am," what I like, etc etc. I think I am at a point now where I understand myself a lot better. Although I'm definitely at a point where, I think the best way to put it is, I am still very much growing into myself.

I've still got so much to learn, but I'm enjoying it every step of the way. The more you challenge yourself and embark on various adventures, the more you begin to learn and understand. This is one of my favourite parts of travelling. I have grown up and into myself so much in the past few months it's not even funny. My perspective on what is most important in life has been completely altered. But the best part is that there is still so much more to come, and I am finally learning how to appreciate the world and everything it has to offer me all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment